Hi,

On 1/27/2006 7:34 PM, Dave wrote:
Hello,
I've got two questions on .bsr files. First, when a job runs and a .bsr file is created by the job if one is already in the location specified in the job definition is it overwritten or appended to?

That is, as far as I know, much more complicated.
Bootstrap files are always completely overwriten when a full backup happens. An incremental backup only appends to the bootstrap file. Differential backups should be the most interesting case: As far as I understand, in this case all data from previous differential or incremental backups should be purged from the bootstrap file, the last full backup would be kept, and the data for the new differential backup would be appended. (Technically, I suspect that re-creating the whole file whenever it's written is the easier solution, but what I described *should* be what you see when you observe the files contents.)

All as far as I know, recalling some of Kern's mails, and without actually verifying, either in the code or the manual.

And second, if they're overwritten is it possible to have a filename like systemname-formatteddate.bsr?

No, not as far as I know. Given the above, it would not be very useful to store a bootstrap file for an incremental backup only.

It would be nice, though, to have the usual variable expansion working in the bootstrap file definition, so you only define it once like %c.bsr (assuming %c would expand to the client name) in the default settings.

Thanks.

Always a pleasure :-)

By the way - why would you want bootstrap files for each job, independant of each other? I understand that these files are the quickest way to recover in a real desaster situation, i.e. without catalog. But in that case you want full restores, I'd say...

Arno

Dave.

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]