On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 07:56:22PM +0100, Arno Lehmann wrote:

> This option is not implemented in Win32 systems. "
>
> Or, in other words, you can't do that with windows.

Ouch!  I'm sorry for not having read the fine manual far enough to
have spotted that, but it never occurred to me that the "fstype=ntfs"
option would only work with non-Microsoft clients!

> Usually you don't have the related problems, though - typically, all
> partitions on a windows machine do have their own drive letters, so
> it's unlikely you will accidentally backup too much stuff.

What I'm really after is some simple way to identify and back up all
the local, disk-backed files on each machine.  On Linux machines, I
can do this by putting file = /, onefs = no, and fstype = ext2 in a
fileset, and that will pick up all the local disk partitions while
skipping NFS imports, CDs, /proc, /sysfs, and the like.

I was hoping to be able to do something similar with Microsoft
clients, using a single fileset for all these machines and using the
fstype = ntfs option used to screen out CDs and SMB shares.  That way
I wouldn't have to modify the backup configuration when someone added
a new disk to their PC.

It looks like it may be best to just manually track the drive letters
though.  That won't be a great deal of effort, I was just looking for
an easy way to automate it.  Thanks again for the clarification and
help.

-- John Kodis.