I think we might be talking about:

"Rerun Failed Levels = <yes|no>

If this directive is set to yes (default
no), and Bacula detects that a previous job at a higher level (i.e.
Full or Dierential) has failed, the current job level will be upgraded
to the higher level. This is particularly useful for Laptops where they
may often be unreachable, and if a prior Full save has failed, you wish
the very next backup to be a Full save rather than whatever level it is
started as."

Obviously there's some ambiguity here.  Because the default behavior
seems to be "Yes", program-wide.

Actually, that would be true if it red: "If Bacula detects that a
previous job at a higher level has not occurred, or has occurred but is
on a tape that was pruned/purged."

What option were you guys thinking?

There are 30 instances of the word "Upgrade" in the manual; but only 6
are in relation to Backup Levels.  Perhaps we need to use the work
"Promotion" or another synonym ?

~lava