I mean, in the mtx-changer shell script replace the call to mtx with the call to a custom script in which you can test and do whatever you want.
Again this is only an idea, it shoul be adapted to your tape and tested.

Best regards.

Ferdinando Pasqualetti
G.T.Dati srl
Tel. 0557310862 - 3356172731 - Fax 055720143

Christoff Buch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Inviato da: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

20/02/2006 09.48

Per
bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
CC
Oggetto
Re: Rif: Re: [Bacula-users] Releasing the tape device at the end of the medium / autosensing tape changes ?

Hi Ferdinando,

Great to have a response! ;-)

What do you mean exactly by "replacing the mtx command"? Do you mean the mtx binary (you know, the mtx-1.2.17rel from within the "depkgs" which you compile and install on your system) or the mtx changer script which does the interfacing?

That's one of the points I'm not sure about: Whether to really use the mtx binary or just do some kind of fake by creating a special changer script....

Kind Regards
Mit freundlichem Gruß

i. A. Christoff Buch

=====================================
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
OneVision Software AG
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 9
93049 Regensburg

Ferdinando Pasqualetti <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

20.02.2006 09:34

bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
cc
Subject
Rif: Re: [Bacula-users] Releasing the tape device at the end of the medium / autosensing tape changes ?

Hi everybody,

I think that you could obtain the behaviour you like defining a pseudo autochanger and replacing the mtx command. Of course there will be some scripting to do.

Best regards

Ferdinando Pasqualetti
G.T.Dati srl
Tel. 0557310862 - 3356172731 - Fax 055720143

Christoff Buch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Inviato da: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

20/02/2006 09.25

Per
bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
CC
Oggetto
Re: [Bacula-users] Releasing the tape device at the end of the medium / autosensing tape changes ?

Hi Florian,

I have the same problem as you have and already have put a message in here, too.

Unfortunately no one replied.

Maybe we can work together on this, although in the next weeks, I probably won't have much time for it.

But in the long term I will surely try to solve this issue. Maybe we can "meet" in the #bacula IRC - channel on the freenode net?

The way to get bacula do what we want would be to look at a single tape drive as an autochanger.

See "Total Automation of Bacula Tape Handling" in the "Tipps and Suggestions" chapter of the manual.

(Don't know, whether this technique is still up to date but as far as I know there's no single resource - directive which would enable what we want...)

Up to now, I made bacula notify me (or the operator) that a new tape is needed and rewind and eject the full tape automatically.

What doesn't work so far is bacula detecting and mounting the new tape by itself in order to continue the backup job.

Hope this helps a little...

Kind Regards
Mit freundlichem Gruß

i. A. Christoff Buch

=====================================
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
OneVision Software AG
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 9
93049 Regensburg
"Florian Daniel Otel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

19.02.2006 11:07

bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
cc
Subject
[Bacula-users] Releasing the tape device at the end of the medium / autosensing tape changes ?

Dear all,

I have the following question wrt backup jobs that span more than one tape:

Is it possible (and if yes, how?) to have the storage daemon release
the device when (in the middle of the job) the end of one tape is
reached and the next one is needed ?The idea is not requiring manually
unmounting/mounting the old/new tape, but just simply change the tape
and have the storage daemon sense that there is a new tape (rewind the
tape + attempt re-reading the volume label) and then relabel and use
the new tape if a "blank" tape was inserted in the mean time ?
AFAICT the "AlwaysOpen = no" thingie releases the tape at the end
of the job, not NOT in the middle of it i.e. when the end of the tape
is reached.

TIA,

Florian