A bacula volume is a file, so there is no way to treat a removable drive as a tape. It might be possible to treat the removable drive as a caddy that carries multiple "tapes", but remember that the Virtual Disk Autochanger is a beta feature and likely is not yet ready for production use.

A simple solution is to setup the four drives as two RAID 1 partitions, which would then be setup in bacula as two regular "File Storage" devices. The disadvantage is that you will have only half the storage capacity. The advantage is that you could then hot swap up to two of the removable drives out of the enclosue for off-site storage, and the swap would be completely transparent to bacula (as well as to the OS).

--- Josh Fisher

David Thurston wrote:

I have a 4 Drive, Hot Swappable, External SATA Enclosure with 1+ Tb of storage.

My goal is to be able to rotate drives off-site and just plug in
(recycle) new drives for on-site backup like very big tapes.

I can set it up RAID 5 so that I get parity and hotswap rebuild via the RAID
setup, but that doesn't allow for moving data off site.

Is there some way to use this new feature (Virtual Disk Autochanger) or some other way to treat the individual drives as really big removable tapes?

Is there some other way I haven't concidered?

I know that Kern was working on something for hot swap drives from reviewing posts in the archive over the last few months.

Has anyone crossed this bridge yet?

All hand holding welcome ;)

Thanks,

David

This SF.Net email is sponsored by xPML, a groundbreaking scripting language that extends applications into web and mobile media. Attend the live webcast and join the prime developer group breaking into this new coding territory!