On 24 Apr 2006 at 12:29, Eric Warnke wrote:

> 3) Config files are needlessly over complex.  It has taken weeks to
> fine tune the config files in order to achieve a stated goal for our
> in-house needs that is not overly complex ( 90 days of guaranteed
> backups ).  Almost every time a complex change was made to the config
> required stopping everything, wiping the database, wiping labels and
> restarting.  This does not give me the warm fuzzies about how this
> system will fare under a production load.  Another problem with configs
> is that something as simple as leaving the level off of a Schedule run
> = line will cause the director to silently crash.

Can you summarize what types of changes required deleted the Catalog
and erasing existing backups?

> 4) The way that incremental and differentials are structured does not allow
> for good differential pooling since incremental can be based on
> differentials.  Because of this you can't recycle your differentials before
> you re-run a full backup.  If incremental were only based on fulls or
> incremental, you can recycle your differentials on a faster cycle to reduce
> tape space for in exchange for longer restore times for older files.

What's wrong with not using one of incrementals or differentials?
Would that solve your problem?

> 6) Does not track deletions between full backups.  Restoration will uncover
> deleted files.  Over a long period of time this could lead to restorations
> that exceed the space on the partition that is being restored especially for
> sites that have long retention periods and heavy tunover.  The major problem
> is that there is probably no way to stort out those files that belong and
> those that do not!

This project is in the pipeline: http://www.bacula.org/?page=projects

See item 3

> This list does not mean that we will not end up using bacula since
> this list looks better than the alternatives, but is a list of items
> that give me pause to implement this system on a full time production
> status.  At a minimum these items should be noted in the documentation
> ( some already are ).  This list is also out there for others who might
> be evaluating this project for their use as well.

If you can provide patches, or at least update the wiki at
http://paramount.ind.wpi.edu/wiki/doku.php  with the changes
required, others can easily update the document so it is clear to you
and others.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php