On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 06:50:33PM -0700, Scott Ruckh wrote:

> I think I have found the culprit, /var/log/lastlog .  It is a sparse
> file and appears to be 1.2TB, which is way larger then the total
> space of the filesystem, In reality, this file only uses 64K of
> actual used disk space, but I am guessing bacula sees it as a 1.2TB
> file.

In the olden days, prior to the wide-spread use of 64 bit computers,
Unix user IDs were 32 bit integers, and the lastlog file had an entry
for each one.  There were few enough that the bit of wasted space
didn't matter.  At some point, Red Hat changed user IDs to 64 bit
integers on 64 bit platforms, and since the lastlog file still had an
entry for each one, there were now so many user IDs that the wasted
space does matter, bloating the lastlog file to 1.2TB as you've noted.
They've corrected this problem in recent releases of their
distribution.

    $ uname -p
    x86_64
    $ ls -l /var/log/lastlog