Hi all,

I work in a ICT company and we are looking to replace Amanda. I figured Bacula would be te best solution, but we hit a snag.

A feature my boss feels is paramount to a back-up package is write the data to disk, then to tape. Bacula does that in a way, but "data spooling" does only that; spooling. I need it to write to disk, then copy or migrate the data to tape. According to the documentation, that is a feature planned for the future. Unfortunately, I need it now.

I've considered simply backing data up to disk volumes, then copy that to tape by other means, but I'm puzzled how a restore would work in that sort of situation.

Is there a workaround someone has successfully used in the field, on production servers? Hating to have to reinvent a proverbial wheel, I figured I'd ask the community. I really love Bacula and I would love to use it in stead of giving Amanda a version bump and a fresh install on our shiny new backup server.

So in short; I want backups on disk, then copy them to tape (with Bacula, other backup software, commandline script, whatever). We run a schedule much like the one explained in the manual ("a daily, weekly, monthly tape usage example").

Thanks in advance!

 John Gerritse
 Sogeti Nederland B.V.
 http://www.sogeti.nl

                         ''~``
                        ( o o )
+------------------.oooO--(_)--Oooo.------------------+
|       This email was brought to you by LINUX        |
|                    .oooO                            |
|                    (   )   Oooo.                    |
                             (_/
"We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents."

Disclaimer:
the property of Sogeti Nederland B.V. or its Group members. It is intended only
for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute,
or use this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error,