On Mon, May 01, 2006 at 12:04:10PM +0200, Christoph Haas wrote:

> Now it's 12 hours after I started to restore the 2.4 GB dump file
> and MySQL still seems to be doing the "/*!40000 ALTER TABLE `File`
> ENABLE KEYS */" part of the dump. The disk is trashing like fury
> while the database is creating the indices.

That seems a bit slow.  For comparison, I've loaded a Postgres dump of
a system with about a million files and several TB of data on a 2 GHz
PC in about an hour.  The time seems roughly the same whether I'm
reading a 3 GB ASCII dump, or the 1 GB binary equivalent.

> It also appears that while running a backup the database is
> extremely busy leaving little computing power for the actual
> backup. The disks are common IDE disks running in a Pentium 4/2.4
> GHz with 512 MB RAM.

You have more CPU than I do, but only about half the memory.  Since
you say that the disks are thrashing, I'd guess that the lack of
memory is more likely to be the culprit than the difference in
databases.  There have, however, been some messages posted here
indicating that MySQL needs more attention to tuning when backing up
this many files than a similar Postgres installation does.

-- John Kodis.