On Fri, 19 May 2006, Meidal, Knut wrote:

The problem would be that there is no way to start rewriting a tape, and
then "stop" before you overwrite the important data at the end without
destroying that, too.
The only way out of that would be to come up with a "tape reclaim" feature
where you read the important data off the volume, appending to another tape.
THEN recycle the entire first volume. This is what Tivoli TSM does to valid
data on a tape of mostly expired data.
Mixing retentions in a volume like that should be avoided.

This is one of the listed reasons in requests for implementing Job Migration.(*)

I know the sentiment: I have several terabytes of tapes offline with only a few hundred Gb of unexpired data on them.

(*) There are many more uses, Tape reclaimation is only a minor one.

AB