Rob Ostrander wrote:
> I am having the same really slow vxa throughput experience.  I don't
> have any real numbers to back it up though a job which used to take 4
> hours using dump has take 12+ in bacula. I suspect has to do with either
> the block size, fast forward space file or compression.
>
> Here is the device description I am using:
> Device {
>   Name = Drive-1                      #
>   Drive Index = 0
>   Media Type = "VXA Packet Tape"
>   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
>   AutomaticMount = yes               # when device opened, read it
>   AlwaysOpen = yes
>   RemovableMedia = yes
>   RandomAccess = no
>   AutoChanger = yes
>   Minimum Block Size = 1024
>   Maximum Block Size = 1024
>   Hardware End of Medium = No
>   Fast Forward Space File = No
>   Backward Space Record = No
>   Backward Space File = Yes
>   Forward Space Record = Yes
>   Forward Space File = Yes
>   Offline On Unmount = Yes
>   Label Media = Yes
> }
>
> If you having a vxa drive working well could you please post your Device
> {} settings?

Here are two of them from my setup. I don't think you should use a fixed
block size.

# The big VXA-3 tape drive, used for weekly backups
Device {
   Name = VXA3drive
   Media Type = VXA3
   Archive Device = /dev/nst0
   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
   AlwaysOpen = yes;
   RemovableMedia = yes;
   RandomAccess = no;
# specify the changer device so it can be subbed into alert cmd below
   Changer Device = /dev/sg0
   AutoChanger = no
# Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
   Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
}

# The old VXA-1 drive, used for occasional static backups
Device {
   Name = VXA1drive
   Media Type = VXA1
   Archive Device = /dev/nst1
   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
   AlwaysOpen = yes;
   RemovableMedia = yes;
   RandomAccess = no;
# specify the changer device so it can be subbed into alert cmd below
   Changer Device = /dev/sg1
   AutoChanger = no
# Enable the Alert command only if you have the mtx package loaded
   Alert Command = "sh -c 'tapeinfo -f %c |grep TapeAlert|cat'"
}

Mark Nienberg