On Thursday 08 June 2006 21:35, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> Hi - sorry for not going through an official bacula list, but this is a
> really quick thing and i didn't seen much point in signing up for
> bacula-devel just to send it..
>
> Please forward this to whomever handles the documentation for Bacula..
>
> On the 'Disaster Recovery Using Bacula' guide
> (http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Disast_Recove_Using_Bacula.html#_ChapterR
>escue), it mentions the following under 'Creating a Rescue CD-ROM':
>
> --Quote--
> * to capture the current state of the hard disks on your system, so that
> they can be easily restored from pre-generated scripts. Note, this is not
> done by any other rescue CDROM, as far as I am aware.
> ---------
>
> There is another project that's been around for what seems to be around 6
> years, called 'Make CD-ROM Recovery' that does just this, and actually has
> many of the same features listed in the primary goals of this section.  I
> used to use it quite successfully as my primary backup system a few years
> ago..
>
> http://mkcdrec.ota.be/
>
> Considering MKCDREC is definitely not in the same league as Bacula, I don't
> know if you want to drop the Note quoted above or not, but just in case you
> have not come across such a thing i thought it might be good to point it
> out.

Yes, you are right. This is the first and only CDROM that I have seen that
attempts to do the same thing as the Bacula CDROM (build it from your current
system; write scripts to repartition and reformat your harddisk if you wish).

In many ways, what the author has done is much more complete than what the
Bacula CDROM has. At the same time, there are a good number of things that I
would change (e.g. he has so much print output during building the CDROM
image that it is totally impossible to know if there were any errors or
warning; he overrides my choice of colors in the shell window making it
almost impossible for *me* to read some of the output, ...).  I'm not
criticizing his work, on the contrary, it is very clean and in many respects
much better than the Bacula code.

I'm going to contact the author to see if we could have some kind of working
relationship ...

Thanks for the pointer.

Kern

  (">