On Sunday 28 May 2006 12:18, Christoph Haas wrote:
> On Sat, May 27, 2006 at 10:31:42AM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> > 3. Currently the manual is licensed under a somewhat restrictive license
> > that does not permit commercial reproduction of the manual without
> > explicit authorization. This means that the manual does not mean the
> > definition of Free Software.  My idea in keeping the license commercially
> > restricted was so that someone could possibly publish the manual (or use
> > it as the basis of something to be published) and that a part of the
> > revenues would revert to the project.
> >
> > However, I am now convinced that there is little chance that someone
> > would want to publish the manual without working with us and that it is
> > better to change the license to GPL version 2.  There are, of course, all
> > sorts of other open source licenses, but given that the source is GPL v2,
> > this is the logical license for the manual as well.
> >
> > Comments?
>
> Thanks for reconsidering. This will allow the documentation to be
> shipped with Debian again.

Thanks for the thanks.

Since the my email that you reference, I have indeed changed the manual
license, but to FDL (or GFDL as Debian calls it), which is the GNU Free
Documentation License. I did so without invariants, or cover pages.  I chose
FDL over the GPL because FDL *seems* to me to be much simpler to interpret
when dealing with documentation and specifically targetted to documentation.
Fortunately, as of recently (March or April if I am not mistaken), the GFDL
is also considered as a Free license by Debian in the way I used it :-)

By the way, for Bacula users: I worked a lot recently (over the last month) on
license issues for Bacula and for the Bacula documentation with the Debian
legal guys and the Debian Bacula package maintainer, and I must say they were
very patient with me considering all my questions and very helpful in finding
solutions for the license issues :-)

Kern

  (">
  /\