On Jun 19, 2006, at 8:15 AM, Lars Uhlemann wrote:

> Hi,
>
> we are runing bacula now for one year. Current runing version is
> 1.38.8.
>   We backup a amount of around 4 TB of data and more than 15
> Million files.
>
> OK, i start to restore a job with 1,9 TB and 12 Million files. I
> select
> the JobId's and wait for the restore command line. After 3,5 hours
> bacula-dir crashes with a:
>
> *19-Jun 16:49 backup-dir: ABORTING due to ERROR in smartall.c:132
> *Out of memory
> *19-Jun 16:49 backup-dir: Fatal Error because: Bacula interrupted by
> *signal 11: Segmentation violation

I have seen something similar on our backup system when trying to
restore a single job that has 2 TB and ~15 million files.

> The select from the postgres was done after 55 min (Postgres bacula
> has
> idle status) and an btraceback shows me that bacula-dir is building
> the
> dir tree. But it crashes.

In our case MySQL used up all the memory and the system started to
kill off processes.

> The Backup machine has 2 Gbyte of Ram and 4 Gbyte of swap. During
> building the dir tree the phsysical Ram is only 50Mbyte and the
> swap has
>   only 50% of his capacity. With "sar -r" i followed the rising memory
> allocation of bacula-dir but in the last 50 minutes it stay at 50% and
> crahes.

Our setup is RedHat Enterprise 4 AS on a dual Opteron with 2 GB RAM
and 2 GB swap.

> Thanks for your ideas and support!

What worked for me was splitting the one backup job of ~15 million
files into 2 smaller jobs of ~8 million files and ~7 million files.
Now it takes ~20 minutes to build the tree for either job.

--
  Alex Dioso
  Systems Administrator, VLSI Lab