On Fri, Sep 01, 2006 at 11:09:16PM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:
> From: Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> Cc: Arno Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 23:09:16 +0200
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Prevent bacula from requesting volumes *not* in
>       changer
>
> On Friday 01 September 2006 22:15, Arno Lehmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 9/1/2006 1:40 PM, Uwe Schuerkamp wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > I was wondering about the best way to tell bacula that volumes not
> > > present in the changer are not to be recycled / used to avoid operator
> > > intervention. We store some tapes (usually 3 out of 8) off-site, but
> > > those volume records will remain in the database, so when the time
> > > comes for bacula to use a new volume when all are full, it should
> > > recycle the oldest volume *in the changer*, not in the volume pool
> > > which quite likely is stored miles away.
> >
> > The best thing to do is to wait some time... because I'm (slowly)
> > working on an add-on to bacula to manage volume locations. An important
> > part in this is to disable volumes but still keep the catalog data intact.
> >
> > Sounds like just what you want.
> >
> > The necessary catalog extensions are prepared for version 1.40, they do
> > exist in the catalog schema introduced somewhere during the ongoing
> > development of 1.39.
> >
> > I expect a release of 1.40 in rather short time - weeks, not months -
> > but that's obviously mainly something Kern has to decide.
> >
> >  From my experience running 1.39.20 for some days now I consider it
> > stable enough for my setup.
> >
> > There's currently nothing I can release concerning the volume location
> > management, because it needs some major rewrite after the catalog
> > changes, but I hope to produce something I can share in the next few weeks.
>
> By the way, Arno, media Enable/disable is implemented.  It also has an
> "archive" state where volumes will not be pruned, but I haven't implemented
> that feature yet.
>

> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Arno
> >
> > > Would I need to define a "maximum number of volumes" setting in the
> > > pool to accomplish this? Here's the pool definition:
> > >
> > > Pool {
> > >   Name = Default
> > >   Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
> > >   Pool Type = Backup
> > >   Recycle = yes
> > >   AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
> > >   Volume Retention = 6 months
> > >   Accept Any Volume = yes             # write on any volume in the
> > >   pool
> > > }
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance for your help,
> > >
> > > Uwe

Hi all,

I have now set the volume status to "archived" on those volumes that
are no longer in the changer. Now bacula uses the in-changer volumes
even if they're "younger" than those that have been removed from the
changer. Once it needs a new volume, it prunes an old one. Sounds
about right, doesn't it?

However, pruning a volume takes bacula far too long than I'd like
to. We have approx. 500GB data per volume (8-way Ultrium HP changer)
from > 10 backup clients, and when pruning starts, bacula just sits
there for nearly a day repeating its "pruning volume xxx" messages ad
nauseam.

I've found that when I purge the volume manually and then set the
recycle flag, everything works as expected, but I really don't want to
constantly check wether bacula has enough volumes available to
complete the next backup (that's not exactly "automation", right? ;-)
Purging takes about 3 minutes per volume as opposed to over a day for
pruning one.

The server is only a lowly 1GHz Intel running mysql on Debian with 2GB
RAM (database size varies around 8 GB), but still I would not expect
pruning a single volume to take this long.

It would be great if somebody could shed some light on this.

All the best, uwe

--
Uwe Schuerkamp, NIONEX GmbH (http://www.nionex.com/)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Tel: +49 (0)5241 / 80 10 66 FAX: / 806 23 38