As it was mentioned before, there are only 2 ways to backup exchange.
1. Use 3rd party soft (ntbackup.exe will work. I use it to backup system
state on all servers)
2. Use VSS under Win 2003.
To conserve space on the server itself in the case of ntbackup, you
could map a network share on  any other machine (even Bacula server
itself via samba) and backup exchange to the network share. Then use
bacula to grab that file. (you could also delete that file with RunAfterJob)