Kern Sibbald wrote:
>> No, I'm not saying that.  If that was true, the Firstwritten would be a
>> month earlier.
>>
>> I'm saying exactly what I've been saying in every post on this topic.
>>  * FirstWritten should be when first bytes are written to volume
>>  * FirstWritten currently _IS_ the Start Time of the first job written
>>
>> And please scroll up. You are looking at the proof.  It's right there.
>
> Yes, that I saw, but it wasn't clear to me what the problem was, probably
> because I was under the mistaken belief that the FirstWritten was really the
> time the volume was first written.  After looking at the code, I see that it
> is indeed set to the start time of the job that first wrote on the tape,
> which is reasonable except for those who rely on very precise timing.
>
> Anyway, in 1.39.23, it is fixed to be the real first write time as returned
> by
> the SD -- at least that is the theory.

I guess my issue -- and this came up in the thread at some point -- is
that I would personally prefer that there be a time that could be used
for recycling that went by when the job was scheduled. $#!t happens from
time to time, but if I mean for a job to run at 11:05, I'd prefer the
fact that so-and-so forgot to put in the tape until noon not to throw
off my retention periods. Where do we stand on this type of issue at
this point in time after this change?

--