On Mon, 25 Sep 2006, Arno Lehmann wrote:

>> Not exactly true.
>
> Theoretically, you're right of course, but Marks setup uses only Full
> and Incre backups.

Nark really should look at using Differentials, even if only from a safety
point of view (any broken incremental in a chain = possibly unrestorable
fileset)

> By the way - I do prefer to have longer retention times than strictly
> necessary for the given scheme. For example, I'd keep differental
> backups for at least 6 weeks - I guess there might be months where you
> need 4, not 3, differentials between full backups, and having one
> generation more allows not only restores to earlier points in time, but
> also ensures I have spare tapes in the pools I can (manually) purge in
> case I need them unexpectedly :-)

Ditto. I'm keeping some filesets for 14 months. Archival sets are held
around even longer than that.

WRT spare tapes, once you have a few hundred tapes in the pool it's no
real hardship to keep a stock of 10-20 blank ones in reserve.... :)

And on the flipside of that - no backup is worth a hill of beans if it
{burns|gets stolen|is washed away|is smashed up} with the computers. A
_good_ data safe (not just a firesafe, they get hot enough inside to melt
plastics) is worth the investment - and that applies whether the data is
stored "offsite" or "onsite".