I am running Version: 1.39.18 (04 August 2006) of Bacula
and for backup to disk files it is working very well but I would
like to use USB disks as backup media. (we have about 1000 Gig
of stuff to be backed up) To this end I have defined a new
SD (config below) and have started it without problems. the bconsole
can get a status from the new SD without trouble but when I try
to label the first USB (formated as a ext file system) I get the
following on the console

3910 Unable to open device "USB-1" (/dev/usbback/drive-1): ERR=dev.c:466
Could not open: /dev/usbback/drive-1/USB-AA001, ERR=Not a directory

in the window where I started the SD I get

  is-net-2-usd: dev.c:1874 do_mount_dvd: cmd=/bin/mount
/dev/usbback/drive-1 /d1/back/mount/drive-1 mounted=0

(it is running as a daemon)

the mount command DOES work as root when I try it. Can
anyone give me something to try?

Thanks.

the config for the SD is as follows (PASSWORDS BLANKED)

Storage {                             # definition of myself
   Name = is-net-2-usd
   SDPort = 9104
   WorkingDirectory = "/var/bacula"
   Pid Directory = "/var/run"
   Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 20          ## this includes the status
requests
}

#
# List Directors who are permitted to contact Storage daemon
#
Director {
   Name = is-net-2-dir
   Password = "XXXXXX"
}

#
# Restricted Director, used by tray-monitor to get the
#   status of the storage daemon
#
Director {
   Name = is-net-2-mon
   Password = "YYYYYYY"
   Monitor = yes
}

#
# Devices supported by this Storage daemon
# To connect, the Director's bacula-dir.conf must have the
#  same Name and MediaType.
#
Device {
   Name = "USB-1"
   Media Type = USB
   Device Type = File
   Archive Device = /dev/usbback/drive-1
   LabelMedia = No;                   # we will label the usb drives by hand
   Random Access = Yes;
   AutomaticMount = No;               # device will need to be linked
from /dev/disk/by-label
   RemovableMedia = Yes;
   AlwaysOpen = Yes;
   MaximumPartSize = 800M;
   RequiresMount = Yes;
   MountPoint = /d1/back/mount/drive-1
   MountCommand = "/bin/mount %a %m";
   UnmountCommand = "/bin/umount %m";
   SpoolDirectory = /tmp/backup;
   WritePartCommand = "/bin/cp %v %m"
   FreeSpaceCommand = "/etc/bacula/freespace %m"
}

#
# Send all messages to the Director,
# mount messages also are sent to the email address
#
Messages {
   Name = Standard
   director = is-net-2-dir = all
}

--
It is MDT, Inc's policy to delete mail containing unsolicited
file attachments.  Please be sure to contact the MDT staff

This email, and any files transmitted with it, is confidential
whom they are addressed.  If you have received this email in error,
please advise [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.

Philip W. Dalrymple III <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
MDT Software - The Change Management Company
+1 678 297 1001
Fax +1 678 297 1003