-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Arno
Lehmann
Sent: Friday, October 27, 2006 2:44 AM
To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Different timeouts in different subnets

Hi,

just some minor correction (or assumption...):

On 10/27/2006 5:54 AM, Robert Nelson wrote:
> The reason for the differences is probably caching on the switch.  I
suspect
> that in the same subnet case the arp is failing (so the IP address can't
be
> converted to an Ethernet address), in the other case the switch is
> responding to the arp and a higher level (and longer timeout) is coming
into
> play, probably the TCP connect timer.

I rather suspect that in one case the DNS was already cleared of the
host name (message No Route to Host) while in the other case the DNS
still had a record for the host and thus the tcp stack had to actually
try the connect, and thus rely on the underlying IP timeouts (error
message Timeout).

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]