On Nov 1, 2006, at 2:20 PM, Michael Brennen wrote:

On Wednesday 01 November 2006 15:33, Arno Lehmann wrote:

This sounds like compression should be automatically disabled when
encrypton is enabled. Should be useless anyway as encrypted data should
no longer be compressible.

Not if compression happens prior to encryption. :)

Theoretically - yes, but I'm quite sure that encryption usually also
compresses data. This is completely unverified and refers to encryption
programs that are rather outdated by now, though...

But I suppose you could inform us if encryption in Bacula also
compresses :-)

Landon, what is your take on this? Since you wrote the code you seem to be the best source on whether the openssl functions you are using compress data.

Howdy,

The encryption does not include compression -- It made more sense to piggyback on the existing compression code. Also, thanks for catching this! I'm embarrassed that I forgot to test backup+restore with both compression and encryption enabled.

-landonf