On 11/9/06, Carlos Cristóbal Sabroe Yde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The top speed I've achieved with an IBM 3581 L38 was around 30 MB/s on a test
(btest).

Have you tried a test of the raw tape speed? When I first got mt lto-2 library I did a few tests like the following

time dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/nst0 bs=1G count=10

and I got around 35MB/s.

With my drive (LTO-2) which I believe is supposed backup at (20 to 40MB/s) I generally get around 21MB/s with bacula on most backups from a raid6 array on a remote system over a gigabit network with the database on a third machine and with MD5 signitures and medical image data that generally compresses around 1.3/1 to 1.5 /1

John