On 11/10/06, DAve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Good morning,

I have a question concerning reported data transfer rates between the
clients and the storage servers. All the above servers are connected to
my NOC clients via a 1gb network. The servers are connected to several
other clients via 100mb network and a 13mb VLAN.

Data rates for backups can vary widely. I have all clients running
compression and the backup reports show compression results, varies of
course based on the data type. I also have concurrency set to four,
which is working.

Some examples,

1gb network
=============================
   FD Bytes Written:       215,582,592
   SD Bytes Written:       215,582,742
   Rate:                   2245.7 KB/s
   Software Compression:   62.0 %

   FD Bytes Written:       510,861,802
   SD Bytes Written:       511,074,097
   Rate:                   577.2 KB/s
   Software Compression:   80.0 %

   FD Bytes Written:       77,243,969
   SD Bytes Written:       78,145,766
   Rate:                   351.1 KB/s
   Software Compression:   84.4 %

100mb network
=============================
   FD Bytes Written:       3,486,750,378
   SD Bytes Written:       3,488,784,689
   Rate:                   2391.5 KB/s
   Software Compression:   42.4 %

   FD Bytes Written:       3,486,750,378
   SD Bytes Written:       3,488,784,689
   Rate:                   2391.5 KB/s
   Software Compression:   42.4 %

13mb VLAN
=============================
   FD Bytes Written:       35,879,089,133
   SD Bytes Written:       35,910,549,602
   Rate:                   1385.2 KB/s
   Software Compression:   41.1 %

   FD Bytes Written:       9,803,307,103
   SD Bytes Written:       9,809,416,473
   Rate:                   1273.0 KB/s
   Software Compression:   57.3 %

   FD Bytes Written:       434,184,031
   SD Bytes Written:       434,204,782
   Rate:                   943.9 KB/s
   Software Compression:   82.0 %

I'm not sure how to interpret the variation in rates. I don't think I
have a problem, though I would expect the backups across the 1gb network
to be far faster than they are. The backups across the 1gb network are
all FreeBSD boxes, the backups across the 100mb and the 13mb VLAN are
Windows and RedHat servers. The dir, and the sd clients are running on
FreeBSD servers dedicated to that task, there are no other processes
running.

Any ideas where I might start looking?

I believe your biggest bottleneck is not the networks speed but the software compression speed as this only a few MB/s max even on the fastest pc you can get. Tape drives are able to compress data at very high speeds because they have specialized hardware (not just a cpu and memory) for that purpose.

John