I can't speak for this upgrade, but upgrading from 1.36.x to 1.38.x was
relatively painless. Seeing as how the release and your target
deployment dates are so close (and it will definitely matter how many
hosts you have, since you'd need to upgrade them all -- a few is no big
deal, and even moreso if you have binary packages), you might want to wait.

However, I /would/ recommend setting up Bacula 1.39.x on a machine
someplace if you can scare one up. You could go through the practice of
setting up the machine and even configure your schedules and encryption,
just using File volumes. It would be good to see that the new version
doesn't have any bugs that will hit your organization. I'm doing the
same (I have 1.39.26 on a machine, just haven't had much time to test).