Wow that was a helpful reply Arno.  Thank you.  Your btape advice will be
heeded.  Bacula is fantasic.

Could it be that I was only missing the update slots command?  (see below)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 00:50:27 +0100 (MET)
> From: Arno Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] the DREADED autochanger won't load problem
> To: bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net
>

> >  I?ve been able to get through about 5 tapes of full backup by
> > manually loading and mounting the tapes.  That is, the jobs are working
> > fine, but the jobs are much bigger than the tapes? and bacula won?t
> > change the tapes itself.
>
> Ok, first thing to try: Use the query command and check which volumes
> Bacula thinks are in the changer (hopefully that query is in your
> version...).
> Then: Use the 'Update slots scan' command and see what it reports.

When I ran query, it reported there were only 2 tapes in the changer instead of
the 11 newly labeled tapes.

I ran update slots without problem and now query reports the tapes correctly.

I started a job and bacula went off and loaded tapes and got things moving.
Success!

> > Bacula: 1.38.5  (run as root)
> > RHEL4
> > We have a 11 slot LTO3 changer with no barcodes on the tapes.
> > I?ve manually labeled all of the tapes in bconsole (via mtx /dev/sg8
> > load 1,  then label.)
>
> How exactly did your label command look?
>
> > My changer.volumes
>
> You mean you've got Bacula set up with the "fake autochanger" feature? I
> would NOT recommend to use that.

Does that mean you recommend using barcoded labels? Or is there more too the
fake autochanger setup that
I'm using?

> > Giving the mtx ?f /dev/sg8 status :
>
> ... looks normal.
> > Starting a job:
> >

> > 16-Nov 16:52 backup3-dir: Start Backup JobId 537,
> > Job=data.2006-11-16_16.52.32
> >
> > 16-Nov 16:52 backup3-sd: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
> >
> > 16-Nov 16:52 backup3-sd: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result:
> > nothing loaded.
> >
> > 16-Nov 16:52 backup3-sd: 3301 Issuing autochanger "loaded drive 0" command.
> >
> > 16-Nov 16:52 backup3-sd: 3302 Autochanger "loaded drive 0", result:
> > nothing loaded.
> >
> > 16-Nov 16:52 backup3-sd: Please mount Volume "F06T06" on Storage Device
> > "drive1" (/dev/nst0) for Job data.2006-11-16_16.52.32
>
> Normal so far, because because it's quite possible that Bacula doesn't
> know the volme it wants is in the autochanger.

> > I think we have a stock mtx-changer:
>
> ... then it's time to fix it, erm, to make it better suit your needs :-)

> especially here:
> > # Increase the sleep time if you have a slow device
> > # or remove the sleep and add the following:
> > #     wait_for_drive $device
> ... I'd usually recommend to use the wait_for_drive function if it works
> on your system.

How will I know if the wait_for_drive function works?  By uncommenting it and
testing it with btape?

> > Any pointers would be appreciated.
>
> It will probably really help you if you started with btape, checking
> your hardware setup, and learning how it works. Once you really need
> that knowledge there might be people around telling you to get at your
> data really soon..

I understand.  Thanks very much.

> Anyway, I suspect you're only missing how to operate Bacula together
> with an autochanger. The key point is that Bacula needs to know which
> volumes are in the autochanger.
>
> Arno
>
> --
> IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Arno Lehmann                  http://www.its-lehmann.de

Sponsored Link

$420k for $1,399/mo.
Find Out! www.LowerMyBills.com/lre