Fredag 29 december 2006 00:20 skrev Kern Sibbald:
> On Friday 29 December 2006 00:03, Steen Meyer wrote:

> them ...

> > > Yes.  I have read about it and even downloaded it once or twice.

> > > That's an idea -- at least for the part of the Bacula rescue that does
> > > not change.  However, it doesn't help for the really cool part of the
> > > Bacula rescue CD that captures the exact state of your current system.
> >
> > I must admit that I have not tested the mondo system, but I have had the
> > thought that it would fit with bacula several times. citing their manual:
> >
> > "mindi creates a set of boot/root floppy disk images and/or a bootable
> > ISO image using files from the system it runs on. mindi will try hard to
> > reproduce the environment of its host system including loaded modules to
> > ensure that the system can be booted properly from the created rescue
> > media. mindi is used by mondoarchive(8) to produce the required boot/root
> > floppy or CD images but can also be used stand-alone."
> >
> > it seems to me that it actually reproduces just the basic setup of our
>
> system
>
> > on the bootable CD that we need to reproduce our disks. If the Bacula
> > client is included on the mondo CD with its original configs then we can
> > get the tarfile from the bacula server are we then not ready to go?
> >
> > Another thing that I have tried is the mklivecd script that is working
> > with the Mandrake and PCLinuxOS distros, and I see that similar things
> > have been created for debian and other distros. It comes as easy as
> > composing a command-line or config file that specifies what to exclude,
> > and then it creates an iso file that can be burned to CD or DVD. Then you
> > have a live CD that boots your system with the same parameters and
> > configs. Running on the CD / DVD you can install the system to disk again
> > - the wizard lets you partition and format harddisks and the it runs by
> > itself. If a script could recreate the disk setup based on
> > bacula-provided config files in case of an exact clone it could not be
> > much simpler.
>
> I've looked at a lot of these LiveCDs, including mklivecd, if I am not
> mistaken, and the problem is that most don't let you easily add files, and
> those that do, generally want you to have a 700MB free partition into which
> they can write.  I don't have a 700MB free partition available.  A much
> simpler solution is to use a loopback device, but since none of them
> mention it, I am not about to try it for fear of having my HD wiped out.
As for creating the CD, mklivecd is different in that it creates the cd from
the system that youre already running, so theres no need to remaster an
existing livecd, but you need the space in some directory of your choosing to
create the iso file.

When running the CD most of the new ones can add smaller amounts of files and
add to configuration while running without touching the harddrives (unless of
course you have very little ram)

> > So I think it is a very good approach to make a package or tar file that
> > bacula can provide to include in various types of rescue/live cd's. Then
> > it may be quite possible to go further from there
>
> For the moment I have succeeded in getting the Bacula rescue disk to build
> and boot on both SuSE 10.2 and Fedora FC4, so I am happy to have a
> preliminary solution.  Creating a tar file from the current Bacula rescue
> is really quite simple, and if I have time, I will add documentation to the
> manual.  For the record, it is:
>
>   cd <bacula-source>
>   ./configure for a static fd
>   make
>
>   cd <bacula-rescue>
>   ./configure (as described in the manual)
>   cd linux/cdrom
>   su
>   (enter root password)
>   make bacula

Thanks, what I didn't get here is that by installing the fd from rpm package,
I don't find a source directory, which is required by ./configure, and I did
not find a source rpm with the same version of Bacula. So I am not clear
wether the rescue option is available with the rpm install - if it is I
missed something or else maybe I can just download the source as a tarball
and unpack?

Regards

Steen