Why not bacon? It would contain both 3 letters of bacula and 3 of console and it would also have a philosofic meaning.
Anyway wichever name you will choose I am sure the package will be great.

Ferdinando Pasqualetti
G.T.Dati srl
Tel. 0557310862 - 3356172731 - Fax 055720143

Kern Sibbald <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Inviato da: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

16/01/2007 17.10

Per
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
CC
bacula-users <bacula-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Oggetto
[Bacula-users] GUI interface

Hello,

Quite awhile ago, I wrote the email that is copied at the end of this email.
Since then, my plans have not changed a lot, but have evolved a bit.
I am now ready to begin the GUI project.

One of the first and most difficult problems is what should it be called?
bconsole is already used,  some of the ideas I have come up with are:

bcon
beacon
badmin

If anyone has a good idea for a name, please let me know.  My current
preference is badmin, pronounced either bad-min or be-admin.

One change from my ideas below is that I am now implementing the GUI in C++
and Qt4, all the other points indicated below remain valid.

In addition to what is mentioned there, I believe that badmin, or whatever its
name is, should have at least the following features:

badmin is a GUI project to create a Bacula Administrative Console.

This console should be capable of the following things:

- be a Graphical interface
- Include all the features of:
  - bconsole
  - gnome-console
  - wx-console
  - bacula-web
  - bweb
  - brestore
  - jbacula
  - tray-monitor
- tree selection of files for restore (like wx-console)
- tree selection of files for backup
- graphical creation of FileSets
- resource display/modification
- catalog display/modification
- graphical report generation (like bacula-web, bweb)
- programmable graphical report generation
- scriptable
- create/modify configuration files
- remote client upgrade
- software update/problem/patch notification
- software patch installation
- monitor daemons

My current thinking is that it will be laid out a bit like gnome-console is.
It will be a main window with a set of menus and an icon bar. Below that will
be the main console window, and blow that will be a status line and a command
input line.

However, to the left will be a "tree" view window consisting of a tree of
small icons representing all the daemons that the program can access (e.g.
the directors, SDs, and FDs). As you click on these items, the right console
pane will be replaced by the window that corresponds to what item you clicked
on. That is the right window will be a widget stack that can change.
Depending on what you choose, the right menu may be a dialog, tabbed widgets,
or any other appropriate window.  It will probably even be dockable or have
the ability to open in a separate window.

Among the items in the left window will be things such as:
- Console
- Run Jobs
 - Backup
 - Restore
 - Migrate
- Reports
 - bweb like
- Catalog
- Configure
- Monitor

This kind of layout was previously suggested by someone, and to a certain
extent, it is implemented in the pygtk-console. The difference is that in
that console, clicking on the items in the left pane brought up new tabs in
the right window, and my concept is that it will bring up a whole new view in
the right window (StackedWidgets), and that in some, possibly all, the right
window could be made into a window that remains open on the screen (i.e. you
may want to monitor at the same time you are starting jobs).

Any help with this project would be appreciated, because once we have the
basic window layout, adding new items and new views into Bacula will be
sub-projects that are essentially independent of each other.

As I am essentially still zero in using designer, if there is anyone out there
that can do a quick programming task, please let me (and the list know).
What I need to help speed up this project is a Qt4 project file using qmake
and designer that has the main window defined via designer in the way I
mentioned.  Once the basic skeleton (badmin.ui + badmin.pro + a couple of
skeleton c++ files) is implemented, I think it will be relatively fast to
connect it to Bacula and begin the real work.  This is something I can do,
but getting there is a rather steep learning curve (designer, forms, slots,
Qt4 classes/API, subclassing, ...).

Best regards,

Kern