On 1/26/07, Arno Lehmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello.

Hi

> On 1/27/2007 12:23 AM, cy tune wrote:
> > Will DVD+R, DVD+RW, and DVD-RAM all work fine when I need multiple disks
> > for each task?  If a weekly backup needs 3 disks, will that be okay?
> > Similarly for the other tasks.
>
> You mean, if you can mix the three media types? No. You can mix DVD+R
> and +RW but DVD-RAM is treated differently.

I didn't phrase it properly.  I meant can I backup to several disks of
the same type for one task?  If my daily backup takes 2 DVD+R disks,
is that okay?

> > Is there any different setup you would recommend?  I looked into tape
> > drives but they are so expensive for the tapes and drives.
>
> The have much higher capacity, are more reliable, and more robust... I

I'm not sure I would use the capacity though.

It's about $8 per disk for a Verbatim double sided DVD-RAM disk (9.4
GB) in a cartridge.  Going the tape route would cost far, far more
wouldn't it?

> prefer tape or, if offsite storage and the ability to endlessly add
> storage count less than speed (and price) disk.

I'm not concerned about speed of a tape vs DVD.  I am price conscious
at this point though.  My old (unfortunate) method was a full backup
every 6 months with no incremental backups.  I'm now looking at using
bacula for daily backups and weekly/monthly full backups.

I had a tape drive on an older computer and never used it.  It's
capacity is so small compared to today's hard drives.  It seems to me
that by the time I would want to replace DVD-RAM disks, I would be
ready to upgrade my tape drive to support larger capacity tapes.  By
the time I'm ready to replace the DVD-RAM disks, I could be buying
blu-ray or hd-dvd or whatever is sufficiently cheap at the time.

Let me know if any of this is wrong. :)  I like the bacula manual as
far as setting everything up.  It looks clear how all the parts
integrated and how to write a config file for each part.  What's not
clear is what backup media to choose and what kind of backup
strategies people use.

> > with the hardware verification?  I'm not sure
> > how to turn that on/off in Linux since it's just treated as a hard
> > drive.  According to the wikipedia entry, it will take about twice as
> > long to write.
>
> Right, it takes longer and it's always on. This is not something you can
> turn on or off, AFAIK.

Oh okay thanks.