On 29 Jan 2007 at 23:12, James Harper wrote:

> I'm sure I've asked this before a while ago, but I can't seem to see it
> in my mailbox.
>
> Does Bacula have any way of allowing a pre-backup check? One of our
> clients is currently using Amanda, and for all the things I don't like
> about it, one really nifty feature is that it can do a check and see if,
> based on all the things it knows, a backup would run as scheduled.
>
> All it basically does is check that a tape (or usb disk in this case) is
> inserted, and that it is writable (eg not physically set to write
> protect, and that the volume retention date has passed).
>
> The benefit of this is that at 11am Amanda will email if it thinks it
> won't be able to do the backup (eg because someone has forgotten to put
> the tape/disk in), and then at 3pm it sends an email always, either to
> say "everything is fine, backup should run okay", or "you still haven't
> put the tape in". I get the email in the case of an error and can call
> them to see what's going on (eg maybe the guy who normally puts the disk
> in is off sick)

Bacula will send an email if the job that is running now does not
have the volume it needs.  But this is not what you want.  You want
to know, hours in advance.

Perhaps the RunBeforeJob directive may help.  It allows you to run a
script before running the backup job

This URL contains a few examples of how RunBeforeJob can be used:
   http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/FileSet_Resource.html

At this URL, read up on RunScript, Run Before Job, Run After Job,
etc.  You may also want to run these as part of an Admin job (as
opposed to Backup, Restore; see Type = <job-type>).

  http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Configuring_Director.html

> Failing that, is there a way that the director can tell me what the
> label is on the current disk volume? I'm sure I have seen it tell me on
> a mount before, or maybe I'm thinking of tapes. It doesn't tell me
> anything useful when I try it now though.

status storage, issued in bconsole, may give you what you need.

--
Dan Langille : Software Developer looking for work
my resume: http://www.freebsddiary.org/dan_langille.php