[snip]

> I passed an earlier message from this thread along to my network expert,
> because we have had some complaints about recent HP stuff. I'm only
> casually up on that stuff.
>
> I was surprised by his answer, but not by his depth of knowledge. So,
> I'm passing it along just so you all have it. Please note that lprng and
> cups are two of the most widely used printing systems. Mac OS X uses
> cups, and lprng is frequently recommended as a replacement system for
> people in linux/unix environments who want some added capability.
>

>  > Chris, I would hope someone would point out to the list that ONLY ports <
> 1024 historically
>  > are "well known ports", and those < 4096 are sort of registered.

His information is dated.  "Historically" we only use 2 digits for the year
as well ...

>  >  So far as I am aware there is
>  > no binding registration for ports > 4096.  But far worse is the fact that
> not just HP printers
>  > use port 9100.  So do almost all printers which use the idea of a "service
> port", and this is
>  > supported by default in lprng and in cups.

His facts are wrong here.  IPP (i.e. CUPS) uses port 631 and lpd/lpr uses 515.

Those 910x ports are registered to Bacula officially.  There are no "internet
police" and there's no fine or anything that means that the Jetdirect systems
are doing anything "illegal", but it's _only_ jetdirect cards that use those
ports outside of the IANA registration.

Facts:
*) Bacula is registered with IANA to use the 910x ports.  It's "official"
*) _only_ jetdirect cards use the 910x ports.  CUPS and LPD do not.  If they
   are, it's because you're using some sort of CUPS->jetdirect driver (which
   is actually pretty common) but it's not CUPS, it's the jetdirect driver.

>  > If bacula is on port 9100 that is a totally bad idea.

Well, he's welcome to his opinion, but he doesn't seem to have any facts to
back it up.

>  > Bacula ought to have gotten a port registered by IANA in the reserved
> range rather than just
>  > grabbing ports that have long been in use for printing.

Again, he's working off 10-year old data here.  The ports _are_ registered, the
registered port range has been expanded in recent years because there's no
room left for new applications below 1024.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.