Bill Moran wrote:
>> Dan Langille wrote:

>>> Well, HP does use those ports:
>>>
>>> http://www.isecom.info/cgi-
>>> local/protocoldb/browse.dsp?search=1&fld1=1&opr1=4&val1=9100&rows=25&s
>>> ubmit=search
>>>
>>> OR http://tinyurl.com/2vzpqa
>>>
>>> Which refers to
>>> http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID
>>> =bpj01014 OR  http://tinyurl.com/3agmm7
>>>
>>> Confirmation that HP is using ports 9101 and 9102 which are
>>> registered to Bacula.
>> Even so, a very small overlap:
>>
>> * 9100 TCP port is used for printing. Port numbers 9101 and 9102 are for
>> parallel ports 2 and 3 on the three-port HP Jetdirect external print
>> servers.
>>
>> ...and if I'm not mistaken, this is configurable. Is there any way that
>> this will actually affect anyone? Seems unlikely to me (unless you have
>> a firewall rule going after HP printer traffic that whacks Bacula in the
>> process).
>
> I could be wrong, but if memory serves, the problem is not so much that
> HP is using Bacula ports, it's that various HP drivers "probe" the network
> to "automatically" find all the printers on the network.
>
> IOW: when MS Windows starts up, the HP printer drivers try to connect to
> port 910x on every host on the network to see if there's a printer there.
>
> Again, I could be wrong on this.

Not sure how one would have to have them configured in order to get the
drivers to do this, but the person or utility setting things up that way
I think deserves more ire than HP. ;) Perhaps people running JetDirect
scans or something like that -- occasionally, discovery is done from
WebJetDirect and things like that. Don't know that they go looking on
9101-3 though. Could well be. However, that leads us to...

...anyone could do this, regardless of the printer. I could telnet to
port 9102 and start rattling off Kafka. I'd assume Bacula would handle
this gracefully and therefore it would not be a problem. If that is not
the case, then that needs looking into. The only real reason HP would be
involved there is that HP printers attract folks who want to screw them
up, so you might end up on the crossfire between some Sasser-style worm
and an HP printer.

PS: I have no love for HP devices, or JetDirect for that matter, and
when the 41xx line started going into the toilet for reliability and
likelihood that a printed PS file would come out of the printer, I
dumped them for Xerox. Even so, nothing that I can see that prevents
them from peacefully coexisting on the network. Their management
utilities, however, could be another story.

=R

- --