On Thursday 01 February 2007 13:10, James Harper wrote:
> > Yes, providing you don't mind prematurely killing off non-keepalive
> > programs
> > that are inactive during the reduced keepalive period you have set.
>
> I couldn't find anything definitive in the kernel source, but looking
> through it did remind me of the TCP_KEEPIDLE, TCP_KEEPINTVL, and
> TCP_KEEPCNT ioctl's, which allow per-socket tuning of the parameters for
> which the defaults are defined in /proc/sys/net/ipv4.

I have never looked into the possibility of setting socket specific
parameters.  If that exists on all platforms and does not require root
permission, it could effectively be a solution -- in fact, the heartbeat
could instead of being implemented in Bacula code, could simply set the
appropriate values.

I'll let you or someone else do the necessary research on the OS end (i.e.
what ioctls exist, what privileges do they need, for Unix, Linux, Win32).  If
they all support something reasonable, I could see re-implementing the Bacula
heartbeat code to tweak the keepalive time so that users could "fool" the
braindamaged routers.