Hello.

I thought this must be a faq, but my research did not provide anything
that useful...

I've been using Bacula on FreeBSD for quite a while and I always had one
problem: I can run multiple jobs and append them to the same tape, as
long as I do this at once. If I remove the tape and insert it again, or
do any other operation, I'll get:

> 06-Feb 17:58 bacula-dir: Start Backup JobId 1981,
> Job=BackupCatalog.2007-02-06_17.56.5
> 06-Feb 17:58 bacula-sd: Volume "Tape41" previously written, moving to end of
> data.
> 06-Feb 17:59 bacula-sd: BackupCatalog.2007-02-06_17.56.57 Error: I cannot
> write on Volume "Tape41" because:
> The number of files mismatch! Volume=5 Catalog=6
> 06-Feb 17:59 bacula-sd: Marking Volume "Tape41" in Error in Catalog.
> 06-Feb 18:00 bacula-sd: Job BackupCatalog.2007-02-06_17.56.57 waiting. Cannot
> find any appendable volumes.
> Please use the "label"  command to create a new Volume for:
>     Storage:      "DDS-4" (/dev/nsa0)
>     Media type:   DDS-4
>     Pool:         Tapes

I always lived with this since I knew older FreeBSD releases where
problematic. However, I have now migrated to FreeBSD 6.2 and bacula
2.0.1, so I guess it should be possible to solve this.

My tape is a SONY SDT-11000 and I have the following in my bacula-sd.conf:

> Device {
>   Name = DDS-4
>   Description = "DDS-4 for FreeBSD"
>   Media Type = DDS-4
>   Archive Device = /dev/nsa0
>   AutomaticMount = yes;               # when device opened, read it
>   AlwaysOpen = yes
>   Offline On Unmount = no
>   Hardware End of Medium = no
>   BSF at EOM = yes