On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, Aaron Knister wrote:

> How does bacula handle the relationship between full jobs and
> incrementals? In terms of volume retention, does it realize that even
> though a tape's recycle flag is set, and it is configured to be
> autopruned that a full backup contained on that tape is required for
> current incrementals of that job?

If a full backup is purged, all its dependencies (differentials and
incrementals) are purged too.

If that was the current full backup, the next incremental will immediately
be promoted to full.

Anyone who doesn't have at least one full backup at all times (including
after just having purged a full backup) is doing themselves a great
disservice as they are exposing themselves to a window of total data loss
until a new full backup has been made - AND put in a safe place.

Personally I rely on having 3 full backups on tape, in case at least one
set goes bad...