Hello,

On 2/5/2007 2:51 AM, Ronald Watts wrote:
> I ahve installed Bacula 2.0.1 server to Red Hat EL4 Kernel 2.7.xx and after
> following all of the steps properly and installing everything  properly,
> including the sqlite3 database and using all of the default configurations,
> however, when I go to ./bacula start..nothing happens. It says that it is
> starting but when I do a ./bacula status..it says that all of the services
> (FD, DIR, SD) are stopped. When I tried this on my Red Hat 9 the same thing
> happened. Maybe I am doing somthing wrong...I tried version 1.38.11 as well
> as 2.0.1 with no result.
>
> 1- Does anyone know of a fix for bacula services that do not start after
> installation? I installed as root as well as a regular user with the same
> problem.

Try calling the components one by one from the shell and use debug
output. Like '/sbin/bacula-dir -c /etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf -d 200 -f'
See what that results in.

If that works, you'll have to check the start scripts - I don't run RH.

> 2- Could someone also send some instructions as to how to do this properly.

All the necessary information is in the manual. If there's a problem
with the packages you should report that to the packager - after making
sure it's relly not only a configuration issue on your end.

> 3- Also, someone please let me know what is the correct stable version of
> bacula to install. Should I install 1.38.11 or 2.0.2 or 2.0.1?

Whatever you prefer... 1.38 is more thoroughly tested, but 2.0 has
features you might want.

In any case, don't use sqlite as the catalog backend. It's slow and,
compared to the other 2 options, can produce funny problems. There are
people out there saying sqlite is ok for test purposes, but you should
use PostgreSQL or MySQL in production.

Arno

> Thank you

> Invite your Hotmail contacts to join your friends list with Windows Live
> Spaces
> http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://spaces.live.com/spacesapi.aspx?wx_action=create&wx_url=/friends.aspx&mkt=en-us

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]