Hello,

As you probably know Robert and I (mostly Robert) have been working on
converting the CVS repository into a Subversion repository.  The conversion
is now complete.

Bottom line:
- The CVS is deactivated and can no longer be accessed (I think).
- The Bacula page on Source Forge now has links in the Code menu item
   to the SVN Browser, and information about SVN, i.e. how to checkout
   the repository.
- The repository is organized a bit differently from before, and if you
   checkout the the whole Bacula project, you will get the code to everything.

   I.e.:

svn checkout https://bacula.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bacula bacula

   gets the following:

 branches/
  Branch-1.32a/
  Branch-2.0/
  import/
  vendor/
tags/
  Release-1.1/
  Release-2.0.2/
trunk/
  bacula/
  docs/
  gui/
  regress/
  rescue/

- To get the equivalent of a "module" or "project" as in the CVS, you need to
  checkout a subdirectory.  E.g only the Bacula source code:

svn checkout https://bacula.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bacula/trunk/bacula \
       bacula

I previously sent out an email with more detail on using svn, so please refer
to that if necessary.  In the next few days, I will update the links on the
web site as well as the developer's guide to reflect the change over to
Subversion.

The release procedure will be slightly different from how we did it under
CVS -- much more flexible, and for those needing to work on a release branch
(developers or packagers), getting the branch and working on it is vastly
simplified.  All this, I will explain in the developer's guide in due course
(a few days to a week or two ...).

The new Subversion database is now open for read for everyone, and write for
all those developer's who have submitted an FLA.  If you have submitted an
FLA and I missed authorizing write permission for you, please let me know.
If you are a developer and have recently submitted an FLA, please let me
know, and I will ensure you have write permission on the repository.

Thanks for the nice work Robert :-)

Best regards,

Kern

PS: Robert has also prepared more useful information concerning Subversion,
and I include it below:

Here are some interesting statistics from the conversion:

cvs2svn Statistics:
------------------
Total CVS Files:              3286
Total CVS Revisions:         28924
Total Unique Tags:              63
Total Unique Branches:          11
CVS Repos Size in KB:       232421
Total SVN Commits:            4116
First Revision Date:    Tue Apr 23 12:42:57 2002
Last Revision Date:     Tue Feb  6 06:37:57 2007

The new Subversion repository size on my machine:

4.0K    bacula-tst/dav
12K     bacula-tst/locks
40K     bacula-tst/hooks
16K     bacula-tst/conf
190M    bacula-tst/db/revs
17M     bacula-tst/db/revprops
4.0K    bacula-tst/db/transactions
206M    bacula-tst/db
206M    bacula-tst

In your final announcement you might want to include the following
information:

Main Subversion Page
        http://subversion.tigris.org

Subversion Book
        http://svnbook.red-bean.com

Subversion Clients
        http://subversion.tigris.org/project_packages.html

        (For Windows users the TortoiseSVN package is awesome)

GUI UNIX client link
        http://rapidsvn.tigris.org/

I've included the list of Subversion features stolen from their web-site.

Subversion's Features
=====================

Most current CVS features
-------------------------
Subversion is meant to be a better CVS, so it has most of CVS's features.
Generally, Subversion's interface to a particular feature is similar to
CVS's, except where there's a compelling reason to do otherwise.

Directories, renames, and file meta-data are versioned
Lack of these features is one of the most common complaints against CVS.
Subversion versions not only file contents and file existence, but also
directories, copies, and renames. It also allows arbitrary metadata
("properties") to be versioned along with any file or directory, and
provides a mechanism for versioning the `execute' permission flag on files.

Commits are truly atomic
------------------------
No part of a commit takes effect until the entire commit has succeeded.
Revision numbers are per-commit, not per-file; log messages are attached to
the revision, not stored redundantly as in CVS.

Apache network server option, with WebDAV/DeltaV protocol.
Subversion can use the HTTP-based WebDAV/DeltaV protocol for network
communications, and the Apache web server to provide repository-side network
service. This gives Subversion an advantage over CVS in interoperability,
and provides various key features for free: authentication, wire
compression, and basic repository browsing.

Standalone server option
------------------------
Subversion also offers a standalone server option using a custom protocol
(not everyone wants to run Apache 2.x). The standalone server can run as an
inetd service, or in daemon mode, and offers basic authentication and
authorization. It can also be tunneled over ssh.

Branching and tagging are cheap (constant time) operations
There is no reason for these operations to be expensive, so they aren't.

Branches and tags are both implemented in terms of an underlying "copy"
operation. A copy takes up a small, constant amount of space. Any copy is a
tag; and if you start committing on a copy, then it's a branch as well.
(This does away with CVS's "branch-point tagging", by removing the
distinction that made branch-point tags necessary in the first place.)

Natively client/server, layered library design
Subversion is designed to be client/server from the beginning; thus avoiding
some of the maintenance problems which have plagued CVS. The code is
structured as a set of modules with well-defined interfaces, designed to be
called by other applications.

Client/server protocol sends diffs in both directions
The network protocol uses bandwidth efficiently by transmitting diffs in
both directions whenever possible (CVS sends diffs from server to client,
but not client to server).

Costs are proportional to change size, not data size
In general, the time required for a Subversion operation is proportional to
the size of the changes resulting from that operation, not to the absolute
size of the project in which the changes are taking place. This is a
property of the Subversion repository model.

Choice of database or plain-file repository implementations
Repositories can be created with either an embedded database back-end
(BerkeleyDB) or with normal flat-file back-end, which uses a custom format.

Versioning of symbolic links
----------------------------
Unix users can place symbolic links under version control. The links are
recreated in Unix working copies, but not in win32 working copies.

Efficient handling of binary files
----------------------------------
Subversion is equally efficient on binary as on text files, because it uses
a binary diffing algorithm to transmit and store successive revisions.

Parseable output
All output of the Subversion command-line client is carefully designed to be
both human readable and automatically parseable; scriptability is a high
priority.

Localized messages
Subversion uses gettext() to display translated error, informational, and
help messages, based on current locale settings.