On Saturday 03 February 2007 19:39, Scott Barninger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like a bit of feedback. There are still a few apparent users of
> RedHat 9 based upon sourceforge download statistics. It would seem to me
> that the time has come to discontinue those packages (no panic, I am
> building 2.0.2 right now). Only the basic command line programs will
> still build, all of the gui stuff is locked out. Is anyone planning to
> continue this distribution into the reasonable future? Or should we plan
> to end support in some time frame?

I would like to see us support as many systems as possible.

However, since we are not a commercial service and receive very few donations,
I would say that we should minimize building systems to those that have some
reasonable download statistics (say at least 50) and for which you have a
build machine available.

IMO, users who are running older systems can either stay with the Bacula they
have installed on that system (if possible) or upgrade by building from
source.  If there is enough demand for old systems, I could see some Bacula
user adopting that system and releasing it himself, or following your build
guidelines and releasing it in the appropriate contrib area.