I do have the expertise, but not sure about the time. It would be a
reasonable undertaking. It would involve:

1) Updating the storage daemon to send the appropriate SCSI commands to
inquire about error counts at mount and unmount times (or possibly with
each block read / write.) This shouldn't be too bad as the sg_logs
utility is out there and can access these statistics. The code could
either be pulled from that tool, or the storage daemon could just call
that tool and parse the results.

2) Updating the configuration syntax and parser for the storage daemon
so the soft error recording logic could be enabled from the
configuration file.

3) Changing the protocol between the storage daemon and the director to
include the new soft error count information.

4) Changing the protocol between the director and the catalog service to
include the new soft error count information.

5) Changing the schema in the configuration store to hold this new
information.

6) Other stuff I haven't though of because I have only about an hour of
looking at the bacula source code.

My initial plan in my spare time is to mess around with the SCSI stuff
in the storage engine and just send console messages back to the
director. If I can get that to work I may play with the other stuff. I
don't, however, take "playing with the other stuff" lightly. It involves
protocol and database changes and I have no idea what the procedure and
culture around here is for such things.

Rex