Hi,

On 2/27/2007 3:37 PM, Chris Sarginson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Running a status dir command in bconsole essentially hangs the console.

That's ususally because there is some hard catalog work happening.
Simply wait...

>   I am running bacula-dir 2.0.1 on Centos 4.3 with a MySQL backend.
> Having checked the MySQL database is approx 2.5G in size.  Obviously
> this is getting to be a little on the large size, so I have run dbcheck
> and selected "Eliminate orphaned Job records". There are 3 to remove.

That's not much. Anyway, file and path records might take up much more
space in the catalog.

> I believe this is working as the mysql daemon is now using 95% of my cpu
> :-), however it has been running for a little while, so I was looking
> for some examples of configuration tips for optimal usage of bacula boxes.

That looks like the (more or less common) problem of suboptimal indexes.
Check which indexes exist for your catalog database, and compare that to
what has been discussed on this list some times...
  > We are going to be configuring several machines to back up 100+ servers
> on our network, to allow for us to split the network load etc.  The data
> will be held as 1 full backup taken every sunday and then six
> incremental backups.
>
> With this in mind I wanted to check the following settings in the dir
> that we create for every client we are to backup:
>
> Client {
>    Name = srv-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    Address = blahblahblah.ukfast.net
>    FDPort = 9102
>    Catalog = MyCatalog
>    Password = passwordhere
>    File Retention = 30 days   (can this be changed to 7 days?)
>    Job Retention = 6 months   (can this be changed to 7 days?)

You can shorten these retention times, but personally I would try to
keep at least two backup generations. When doing weekly full backups,
your retention times should then be about two weeks.

>    AutoPrune = yes
> }
>
> Storage {
>    Name = file-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    Address = storage_device.ukfast
>    SDPort = 9103
>    Password = storagepasswordhere
>    Device = storage-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    Media Type = File
> }
>
> JobDefs {
>    Name = "IP_IP_IP_IP Job"
>    Type = Backup
>    Level = Incremental
>    Client = srv-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    FileSet = "Full Set"
>    Schedule = "WeeklyCycle"
>    Storage = file-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    Messages = Standard
>    Pool = pool-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    Priority = 10
> }
>
> Job {
>    Name = "IP_IP_IP_IP Job"
>    JobDefs = "IP_IP_IP_IP Job"
>    Write Bootstrap = "/home/bacula/bootstraps/srv-IP_IP_IP_IP.bsr"
> }
>
> Pool {
>    Name = pool-IP_IP_IP_IP
>    Pool Type = Backup
>    Recycle = yes
>    AutoPrune = yes
>    Recycle = yes
>    Maximum Volumes = 5
>    Maximum Volume Jobs = 7
>    Maximum Volume Bytes = 5g
>    VolumeRetention = 7d
>    Volume Use Duration = 0
>    LabelFormat = "srv-IP_IP_IP_IP-"
> }
>
> I have a couple of settings that I have queried in brackets - would
> these affect the size of the MySQL database?

Perhaps - most of the catalog is usually used by the File table, and
that remains more or less stable in size unless you have many new file
names on a regular basis.

> Also, should dbcheck be configured to run regularly (IE through cron say
> once a day)?

I would not do that on a daily basis... in most installations I know,
running dbcheck once every few months is sufficient, but there are cases
where a more regular schedule can be advisable.

This has been discussed recently, and someone mentioned mail storage as
one example where you get lots and lots of new file names every day
which will vanish soon - and then, running dbcheck can really reduce the
catalog size.

> Does anyone have any further tips - I'd like to get all this in place
> before I have to roll out a bunch of these machines thanks :-)

I'd recommend to check the database indexes first.

Arno

--
IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]