> Does bacula have any features that would be equivelent to an append
> period?  An append period is a window of time after the last job
written
> completes that still allows the tape to be appended.  After the window
> closes, no more appends would be allowed.

As in something similar to Backup Exec's protection?

VolumeUseDuration is the equivalent of the Append duration in Backup
Exec, a volume that is not yet full can be appended to only for this
long.

After the VolumeUseDuration period, the volume can only be recycled and
reused, which is subject to the VolumeRetention period.

This almost sounds exactly like what you want except you have said that
the VolumeUseDuration would apply after the most recent job was written,
instead of after the first job written to the tape... is this really
what you meant?

If that is really what you meant (most recent job on tape instead of
first job on tape), can you give a specific scenario of where that exact
behaviour would be useful? I'm curious...

James