On Wed, 7 Mar 2007 13:06:15 -0800 (PST)
Kel Raywood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> A few weeks ago there was a short thread on a similar theme.  See
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.sysutils.backup.bacula.general/31927
> and other posts in the thread.

Hmmm... I think I had seen this one, but am glad you pointed it out
again, as I think I'm now much more receptive to the first idea.

> In that thread, the on-site disk-volumes were written first and
> then copied to tape for off-site protection.
>
> However your requirement  ...
>
> > I'd prefer to do the actual backup to the removable drives in the
> > first instance as these are the "critical" ones and I'd like the
> > job(s) to fail in the case of full removable-drives.
>
> makes this significantly different.

It's really more of a desirable - I could handle the idea of a
separate "archive" job failing, if needs be.

I hadn't really put too much thought into the idea of having multiple
catalogs, but this could be quite dandy - I could have completely
different backup regimes for on-site and off-site stores, for
instance. Copy jobs'd sure be tops though! :-)

I guess since the off-site backups would only be used in an emergency
situation, and since a restore (using the "main" catalog) would ask
for the right volumes, which could then (or beforehand) easily
be restored from the off-site media to the on-site location this
could work quite well. I'd rather not be making the assumption that a
huge amount of storage will be available to restore the on-site
volumes to, but really that's not an unreasonable one anyway.

> You said that you are all windows based.  Does that include the
> server running the storage daemon?

It does.

> Using Linux, you might be able to achieve what you want using
> "bind" mounts. Here is an outline of a basic scheme.
>
> Create a directory for the on-site disk-volumes and bind it to the
> location where the storage-daemon expects to find them.
>
>     mount --bind /on-site/bacula/volumes /var/lib/bacula/volumes
>
> This should be in /etc/rc.d/rc.local or similar.
>
> Your storage-daemon config would include:
>
> Device {
>      Archive Device = /var/lib/bacula/volumes
>      Device Type = File;
>      LabelMedia = yes;
>      Random Access = Yes;
>      AutomaticMount = yes;
>      RemovableMedia = no;
>      AlwaysOpen = no;
> }
>
> Have a pre-flight (RunBefore) script in a job with a unique, lowest
> "Priority" value, to ensure that it runs alone and first. It should
> unbind the on-site storage and bind the removable-media.
>
> Pre-flight script:
>
>     umount /var/lib/bacula/volumes
>     mount --bind /media/usbdisk/volumes /var/lib/bacula/volumes
>
> Have a post-flight script in a job with a unique, highest
> "Priority" value to ensure that it runs alone and last.  It should
> unbind the removable disk, copy the disk volumes to the on-site
> storage, and bind that to the appropriate disk-volume directory.
>
> Post-flight script:
>
>     umount  /var/lib/bacula/volumes
>     rsync -a /media/usbdisk/volumes/ /on-site/bacula/volumes/
>     mount --bind /on-site/bacula/volumes /var/lib/bacula/volumes
>
> Now the storage daemon will be able to restore from the on-site
> copy of the volumes.
>
> In the resource of the Pool to which the disk volumes are assigned,
> you should have "Maximum Volume Jobs = 1" to ensure that the
> disk-volumes are closed after use. It won't be necessary to know
> a-priori the names of the volumes since rsync will only copy new
> volumes.  You should also be dumping your catalogue and keeping
> copies of your config files somewhere.
>
> I haven't thought about issues with recycling but it should be
> scriptable.

Windows does allow for drives to be mounted on directories, but they
have to be empty - which unfortunately somewhat destroys the
possibility of tricking Bacula in a similar way to this (I'd quite
happily have the removable drive(s) mounted on both "G:" (for
instance) and "D:\Backups", then remove the "D:\Backups" mount to
perform a copy (assuming there's a scriptable way of doing this in
Windows), but the empty directory thing kills it.

Still - a nifty idea!

> Hope this helps.

It did indeed - thanks very much.

> Kel