Hello everybody!

I searched in the list for similar problems with backups to tape.
What I want to do is migration of jobs to tape with a Tandberg LTO-2
SCSI drive.

First of all I use bacula 2.0.2 on NetBSD 3.0.1 on a standard PC.

At the beginning, I ran the btape program and it suggested to add in my
bacula-sd.conf:

* Hardware End of Medium = No
* Fast Forward Space File = No
* BSF at EOM = yes

So it looks for the Tape Drive as below:

Device {
  Name = TapeDev
  Device Type = Tape
  Media Type = LTO2
  Archive Device = /dev/rst0
  LabelMedia = yes;
  Random Access = No;
#  Block Positioning = no;
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  Hardware End of Medium = No
  Fast Forward Space File = No
  BSF at EOM = yes
#  Requires Mount = yes;
}

(BTW do I have to use the semicolons? They seem optional.)

Anyway, when I run btape's test again, everything seems alright, no
errors or warnings anymore.

The fill command (tested with two tapes) runs also without any problems.
It also writes about 190 GB on tape at ca 19 MB/sec.

Now, when I run a Migration Job it finds the apropriate JobIds and
starts migrating, but stops after about 17-25 GB and requires a new
Tape. Then it writes another 20 GB and again.

My Backup Jobs are stored as Volumes of 100MB to 170GB on two 500GB
harddrives first. One Volume-File per job and machine.

My Tapes are brand-new, the drive is new, too, so it should be a
hardware problem.

Here is an excerpt with the most important config-data concerning my
problem. (If I was missing something then please ask for it!) Maybe you
can help me in finding any errors?

# bacula-dir.conf:
#
# Backup Job to HD
JobDefs {
  Name = "JobDef-BSD"
  Type = Backup
  Level = Full
  FileSet = "rootdir_bsd_home"
#  Schedule = "Platte1_SchedBSD"
  Messages = Standard
  Pool = Platte1BSD
  Storage = "BackupStorageBSD"
  Priority = 10
}
Job {
  Name = "amelie-platte1"
  Client = amelie-fd
  JobDefs = "JobDef-BSD"
  Schedule = "Platte1_Amelie"
  Pool = Platte1-Montag
  Write Bootstrap = "/backup/spool/bacula/amelie.bsr"
}
# Backup Job to Tape
JobDefs {
  Name = "JobDef-BSD-Migrate"
  Type = Migrate
  Level = Full
  Client = hugo-fd     # Client with Tape-Drive
  FileSet = "rootdir_bsd_home"
 Selection Type = Volume
  Storage = "BackupStorageBSD"    # Storage with Harddisk Backup Volumes
  Schedule = "Tape"
  Messages = Standard
  Maximum Concurrent Jobs =4
  Priority = 10
}
Job {
  Name = "montag-tape"
  JobDefs = "JobDef-BSD-Migrate"
  Pool = Platte1-Montag
  Selection Type = Volume
  Selection Pattern = "Platte1-Montag"
}

Pool {
  Name = Platte1-Montag
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 7 days
  Label Format = "Platte1-Montag"
  NextPool = Tape-Montag
#  Storage = "BackupStorageBSD"  # Now in Backup-Jobs
  UseVolumeOnce = yes
}

#Migration Job on Tape
Pool {
  Name = Tape-Montag
  Pool Type = Backup
  Storage = "BackupStorageTape"
  Recycle = yes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 7 days
  Label Format = "Montag-"
  UseVolumeOnce = no
}
Storage {
  Name = BackupStorageTape
  Address = hugo.intra
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "StPass"
  Device = TapeDev
  Media Type = LTO2
}

Another strange phenomena I would like to ask you is what happens with a
job that has been only migrated partially (i.e. stopped with an
error/was aborted by me)? As I noticed, bacula won't try to migrate it
again?! Is the job lost then?

Thank you very much for any hints solving my problem!

Have a nice day,
Damian