On Friday 09 March 2007 03:34, Troy Daniels wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > For exactly the reason you state, I believe that it is not possible for
> > bweb to work with MySQL version 3, which is *very* old (by Open Source
> > standards) now.  It will probably work with version 4, which does
> > implement subqueries (if I remember right).  I am *sure* it works on
> > MySQL 5, since it works here and I have: mysql-5.0.26-12 loaded.
>
> Thanks for your response. Unfortunately it was the one I was expecting,
> however was hoping I'd overlooked something in my tiredness last night and
> sent the email anyways.
>
> I know my MySQL is an old version, but it's the version that seems to be
> the default for EL3 installations. (ie, it's the most recent version in the
> EL3 Repo I use). I can see however that there are rpms for 5.0 available
> for EL3 on the MySQL site so this may not be the case.
>
> AFAIK, it's also the version the standard EL3 Bacula MySQL rpm is built
> against. Therefore, If I upgrade my database, I'll have to build Bacula
> MySQL 5 rpms for EL3 myself wont I? This is the main reason I hadn't
> upgraded my MySQL DB yet. (Plus the fact that my catalog DB gets replicated
> to an offsite DB server which replicates it's catalog to this DB server -
> both are running 3.23 and both would need simultaneous upgrades of both the
> DB and bacula == extra comlpexity)

Yes, Bacula *must* be built against the version of MySQL that you are running
or it will likely segfault.

> Also, does anyone have any advise on the best way to upgrade from version
> 3.23 to 5.0 of MySQL. The MySQL documentation recommends upgrading thru
> each intermediate version (4.0, 4.1) but I was wondering if this was more
> of a guideline than a strict rule.

1. Copy your database.
2. Make an ASCI dump of it.
3. Here, I upgraded from 3 to 4 by simply installing MySQL 4 and it ran.
4. I did the same for MySQL 5.
5. Don't try the above for PostgreSQL.  From what I understand you *must*
create a dump and reload the db on each PostgreSQL update.
6. I don't know if you can go directly from MySQL 3 to MySQL 5 without running
MySQL in between.  I never tried it.

> Also, I was thinking it might be simpler in the long run to just install a
> separate MySQl 5 instance and load the MySQL 3.23 dumps into it - anyone
> know if this is possible? I haven't seen any clear indication either way in
> the MySQL documentation.
>
> Time to break out the test box again...

If Bacula is not the only program using MySQL, then you probably need to
upgrade your system.  This would be the best solution, but it is probably the
most difficult and the most work.

If Bacula is the only program using MySQL, it depends on your rpm policy.  My
easy way out would be to load a MySQL version 4 rpm (if possible).  Run it,
manually check that the tables are correct. Then either stick with version 4
rebuilding Bacula from source, and you should be in business or upgrade to
MySQL 5, check manually that the tables are OK, and rebuild Bacula from
source.