On Mon, 26 Mar 2007, Lonny Selinger wrote:

>> Given the media is new, the problem could also be a tape dropped in
>> transit - in which case spooling it to the end and back (retensioning) may
>> solve your problem.
>
> I'll give this a shot and see what happens :)  ... DLT tapes are a single
> spool/caster so I always assumed that a reel to reel or caster to caster tape
> was subject to requiring retension'ing but It's very possible it affects all
> linear media *shrug*

This affects all linear media formats to a greater or lesser extent.

DLT, LTO and SAIT are all reel-to-reel formats, but the other
reel is inside the drive. This allows smaller cartridges.

There is a 2-reel LTO cartridge format, but it's very rare...

My first experience with tape pancakes getting misaligned was a long time
ago with studio audio reels, but audio, video and DAT/DDS cassettes
were very prone to it. I haven't seen much of a problem with the single
reel formats, but there is always a possibility if a cartridge is dropped
hard enough.

AB