Let me start this e-mail with a sincere "thank you!" to everyone
who has contributed their time, skills, and resources into
making Bacula what it is today, and in particular whoever
developed the VSS backup code for Win2K3.  I just had to do an
emergency restore of a Windows database server last night, and
it went without fanfare (just like in my testing) even though the
database was open at the time of backup.  One or more people
have a pint owed to them if I ever meet them in my travels!

Anyway, now on to a minor cosmetic issue that I discovered
in the process of doing this restore.  [Bacula is all version
1.38.5, except the Windows file daemon which I don't have the
version number for but may have been 1.38.3.]  The issue is
that the restore listing showed a file date last fall for the
open database file when I was going down the tree in WX-console,
and the restore job log that was mailed also says that the file
was from last fall.  When it did the restore however, it put the
correct timestamp on the file indicating when the backup ran (6 AM
yesterday morning).

Even though I'm not a programmer by a long shot, I realize that
most operating systems keep a handful of different timestamps
for each file, such as when it was created, last modified, last
accessed, etc.  Logically, it even makes sense that Bacula couldn't
determine the last modified time, since the file was technically
open on the Win2K3 box at the time of backup and I'm guessing that
Windows doesn't update the mod time until the file is closed.  I
did a quick search of the Bacula bug database, but didn't see
anything related to VSS backups and timestamps logged.  If it
wasn't one of those heart-stopping moments seeing what appeared
to be an obsolete file on the restore screen that I absolutely
needed to recover, I probably would have just ignored it and not
said a word.  I'm posting this more as a warning to others for
future reference that the time stamps on the restore screen
may not be accurate for Windows files backed up while open using
VSS.

Maybe someone else already caught this and it has been fixed
already in a subsequent release?  I've got a new hardware set
for a Bacula 2.0.3 server being shipped to me as I type this,
which will be used to retire the 1.38.x box and it's problematic
3ware RAID controller.  Until I have a completed backup on the
2.0.x box, I'm hesitant to touch the running 1.38.5 box and/or
perform any software updates to it.

Thanks again to everyone for your hard work on a great project!!!

-Arthur

 Arthur Emerson III                 Email:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Network Administrator              InterNIC:   AE81
 Mount Saint Mary College           MaBell:     (845) 561-0800 Ext. 3109
 330 Powell Ave.                    Fax:        (845) 562-6762
 Newburgh, NY  12550                SneakerNet: Aquinas Hall Room 6