Greetings,

I have been evaluating Bacula for the School District I work for as a
backup option for our Windows 2003 Servers.  I like many of the features
Bacula has compared to other solutions.  I have been testing with 2.0.3
with the director on a linux box, a storage daemon on a Windows 2003
box, and a file daemon on an XP box.  I installed the Linux portion from
RPMs and the Windows client with the windows installer.

I have it configured to do Disk backups.  The first couple of days,
everything worked OK with small backups without much change (~100 MB
full, 1-2 MB incremental).  Then I switched to a larger amount of files
(~28 GB with ~800 MB of change per day).  Now the FD seems to hang up.
Here are the symptoms:

If I start off a fresh boot, the first backup on this machine will work
fine.  If I do not reboot the computer, or kill the bacula-fd and
vssvc.exe processes, the next backup will do one of two things:

1) Backup all the way to the end, and just hang
or
2) Not start the backup at all and sit at 0 Bytes/files

I can break this cycle by killing the vssvc.exe process (Volume Shadow
Copy).  Then the backup finishes successfully, and incidentally
vssvc.exe start again.  If it hung at the beginning, it will generally
give a warning or error that VSS could not start and the backup will be
done without VSS.

One thing that seems odd is that the vssvc.exe process is always
running, even when there isn't a backup running.  When I look at our
servers that are running the MS backup utility, vssvc.exe is only
running while a backup is in progress.

For our implementation, I really need to be able to use VSS, so I have
not tried it with VSS disabled.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike Gerszewski