Hello,
    I'm trying to set up disk backup jobs. I've included my config at the
end of this msg, but i'm confused as to the difference between job
retention, and volume retention in the client definition, and volume
retention in the pool definition. I've read the bacula manual on these
topics, and i understand the shortest one takes priority, but i'm not sure
the values to set.
I've got a machine that has two jobs with it. The first backs up general
files, and i want it to back up according to it's schedule, and have bacula
automatically handle volume rotation. The second job is a monthly back up of
/home, where i want it to do one full backup and the incrementals until the
next full. And again automatic volume rotation, i.e. month 2's full volume
overwrites the current one and the incrementals do the same.
    The problem i'm having is i'm occationally getting the error no
appendable volumes, which tells me i don't have my retention periods quite
right for this setup. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

#
# Bacula zeus client configuration
#

Job {
  Name = "backup_zeus"
  Type = Backup
 Level = Incremental
  Schedule = "ZeusCycle"
  Messages = Standard
  Client = zeus-fd
  FileSet = "fbsd_zeus"
  Pool = Default
Full Backup Pool = Zeus_Full
Incremental Backup Pool = Zeus_Incremental
Storage = ZeusStorage
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/db/bacula/zeus.bsr"
  Priority = 10
}

Job {
  Name = "backup_zeus_home"
  Type = Backup
 Level = Incremental
  Schedule = "ZeusCycleHome"
  Messages = Standard
  Client = zeus-fd
  FileSet = "fbsd_zeus_home"
  Pool = Default
Full Backup Pool = Zeus_Full_Home
Incremental Backup Pool = Zeus_Incremental_Home
Storage = ZeusStorage
  Write Bootstrap = "/var/db/bacula/zeus.bsr"
  Priority = 10
}

FileSet {
  Name = "fbsd_zeus"
  Include {
options {
Compression=GZIP9
Signature=SHA1
aclsupport=yes
}
 File = /etc
File = /usr/local/etc
File = /usr/local/www
  }
  Exclude {
    File = /proc
    File = /tmp
    File = /.journal
    File = /.fsck
    File = /usr/src
    File = /usr/ports
    File = /usr/doc
    File = /usr/share/doc
    File = /usr/obj
    File = /tmp
    File = /var/tmp
    }
  }

FileSet {
  Name = "fbsd_zeus_home"
  Include {
options {
Compression=GZIP9
Signature=SHA1
aclsupport=yes
}
 File = /home
  }
  Exclude {
    File = /proc
    File = /tmp
    File = /.journal
    File = /.fsck
    File = /usr/src
    File = /usr/ports
    File = /usr/doc
    File = /usr/share/doc
    File = /usr/obj
    File = /tmp
    File = /var/tmp
    }
  }

Schedule {
  Name = "ZeusCycle"
  Run = Full 1st sun at 1:05AM
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 1:05AM
}

Schedule {
  Name = "ZeusCycleHome"
  Run = Full 1st sun at 4:00AM
  Run = Incremental mon-sat at 4:00AM
}

Client {
  Name = zeus-fd
  Address = bacula.example.com
  FDPort = 9102
  Catalog = MyCatalog
  Password = "xxx"           # password for FileDaemon
  File Retention = 62 days
  Job Retention = 3 months
  AutoPrune = yes                       # Prune expired Jobs/Files
}

Storage {
  Name = ZeusStorage
  Address = bacula.example.com
  SDPort = 9103
  Password = "baculapassword1"
  Device = ZeusStorage
  Media Type = File
}

pool {
 Name = Zeus_Full
 Pool Type = Backup
Maximum Volume Jobs = 1             # New file for each backup
 Recycle = yes # Bacula can automatically recycle volumes
 AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 27 days
Maximum Volumes = 2                 # Keep 2 fulls
    LabelFormat = zeus-full
}

pool {
 Name = Zeus_Incremental
 Pool Type = Backup
Maximum Volume Jobs = 1             # New file for each backup
 Recycle = yes # Bacula can automatically recycle volumes
 AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 312 hours
  Volume Use Duration = 6 days
Maximum Volumes = 10                 # Keep 10 incrementals
    LabelFormat = zeus-incremental
}

pool {
 Name = Zeus_Full_Home
 Pool Type = Backup
Maximum Volume Jobs = 1             # New file for each backup
 Recycle = yes # Bacula can automatically recycle volumes
 AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 62 days
Maximum Volumes = 2                 # Keep 2 fulls
    LabelFormat = zeus-full-home
}

pool {
 Name = Zeus_Incremental_Home
 Pool Type = Backup
Maximum Volume Jobs = 1             # New file for each backup
 Recycle = yes # Bacula can automatically recycle volumes
 AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 31 days
Maximum Volumes = 31                 # Keep 10 incrementals
    LabelFormat = zeus-incremental-home
}