Hi,
We are using Bacula in our organisation. (Single tapedrive/no
autochanger) I am currently changing the tapes myself but want to give
other (non IT) persons also the possibility to do this job.

When they receive an email they should insert a new tape and bacula has
to continue with the job. It should be fool proof (eg when someone
inserts a wrong tape it should unmount the tape and send an email again).

This should be possible with the script described in the documentation:

http://www.bacula.org/rel-manual/Tips_Suggestions.html#SECTION0038160000000000000000

Unfortunately the script seems not be updated for a long time and
doesn't want to play nicely with our tape drive.

Should I try fixing the script (i already found some of the problems in
it) or is there a better solution? I thought about writing a script
(executed by cron every x minutes) that checks if it should do something
depending of the output of "status storage" and the "messages" output.
Any ideas ?

Regards,
Bram.