Hello,

On 5/5/2007 11:41 AM, viashino wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still trying to understand why my setup isn't working as expected.
> I did some tests (thx Arno for pointing me) about the Ignore FileSet
> Changes option.
> This option should be "no" by default as stated on the manual.

Right.

> Here what I did:
> - I added the directive (forced to no) in the example configuration, and
> set the File list to be on the client. [1]
> - I deleted/purged every old job of my client
> - I added one directory to /home/viashino/files (/etc/bacula) and did a
> full backup. ( End time: 05-mag-2007 11:21:31)
> - Added a second directory to /home/viashino/files (/var) and did an:
> "estimate level=Incremental listing" (a snap is attached [2])

Well... the first, full, backup stored /etc/bacula. The incremental will
only sore what's changed.

I think I understand the problem: The Ignore Fileset Changes option
affects what is stored in the fileset resource. When inserting lines
through an external file, it does not watch the (dynamically) inserted
contents.

> - I  then did a backup (incremental) to be sure that it wasn't a problem
> of the estimate (ok, this can sound silly, but I wanted to test
> everything) but indeed the backup was wrong : it backuped only a cuple of
> files (20 more or less).

Which ones? I suspect the ones from /var changed after the initial full
backup.

> The Ignore FileSet Changes should compare the two include/exclude lists
> (md5 hash, right?) and if the newest is different from the last, run a
> full backup. Unfortunatly Bacula is not doing this.

Bacula compares the contents of the fileset resource, not the resulting
effective fileset.

> When I added /var to my fileset and did the incremental, it backuped ONLY
> the files that were modified after the backup, basing ONLY on the
> time-stamp.

That's expected, as the time-stamp is the criterion by which Bacula
decides what to store.

> I'm using Debian on both client and server, bacula version 2.0.3 (06 March
> 2007).
>
> Also I'm facing the same problem on the Windows Client (that was the
> starting point :D )
>
> Now, is this a bug?

I doubt it... sounds like a feature request to me. "Make Bacula consider
the effective fileset after including external data when checking for
fileset changes."

Unfortunately, I suspect that would break setups where the file list is
generated dynamically and might change formatting and order, but not the
actual contents.

Arno

> Thank you for the help, If you need more information please tell me.
>
> viashino
>
> ########[1]##################
>
> FileSet {
>    Name = "Full Set"
>    Ignore FileSet Changes = no
>    Include {
>      Options {
>        signature = MD5
>      }
>   File = </home/viashino/files
>    }
>    Exclude {
>      File = /proc
>      File = /tmp
>      File = /.journal
>      File = /.fsck
>    }
> }
>
> ########[2]##################
>
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql       100352 2007-05-05 11:21:30
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/Filename.MYI
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql        59592 2007-05-05 11:21:30
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/Filename.MYD
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql       319488 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/File.MYI
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql       439708 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/File.MYD
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql         3072 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/Job.MYI
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql         3040 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/Job.MYD
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql         3072 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/JobMedia.MYI
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql          650 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/JobMedia.MYD
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql         4096 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/Media.MYI
> -rw-rw----   1 mysql    mysql          576 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/mysql/bacula/Media.MYD
> -rw-------   1 bacula   bacula           0 2007-05-05 11:21:55
> /var/lib/bacula/OctOpus-Link-dir.conmsg
> -rw-r-----   1 bacula   bacula       97261 2007-05-05 11:21:31
> /var/lib/bacula/log

IT-Service Lehmann                    [EMAIL PROTECTED]