Hi all.

First, thanks for all the work contributers have done to create an
outstanding product!

Now, the issue.
version 1.38.11
OS: RedHat el4
storage: 1 3T RAID, 1 HP SCSI tape drive

I've been running bacula for like this for about a year (recently
upgraded from 1.38.7).  I've always started the services manually, but
now I have other admins working with the system also, and want it to
autostart at boot.

Symptoms:
When I try to start the director via "bacula-ctl-dir start" I get the
following error -
"Starting the Bacula Director daemon
07-May 16:18 bacula-dir: ERROR TERMINATION at parse_conf.c:791
Config error: Cannot open config file "/etc/bacula/bacula-dir.conf":
Permission denied"

My most extreme effort to solve this was to grant bacula ownership and
to set the the permissions to 777.  But, it still fails.

More Symptoms:
When I ran the director as root I started the SD and FD via bacula-
ctl-... and the backups failed because of permissions to the tape
drive.

So, do I need to change the bacula account (a group membership?), mod
the objects it wants, or am I going in the wrong direction completely?

Thanks in advance for any advice.